Jan

FO Larch Cardigan

Written by Sarah on January 5th, 2012 Posted in cardigan, knits, sweater

I’m not really sure where to start! I’m trying to revamp everything for 2012 and I have a lot of new projects coming up in the new year. I guess let’s start by saying that I hope everyone had a great start to the New Year. It sounds like a lot of people were doing the low-key thing this time around. We did too.

Becaaaause we’re so exhausted/exhilarated/busy from our big move. I can’t wait to show you the new apartment. This year is going to be all about redesigning this little gem.

Anyway, maybe I can start by showing you a long-overdue post about my larch cardigan? Tie up the loose ends of last year. It’s been such a long time since I finished it. (Before Thanksgiving!) Let’s see…

The construction of the collar really confused me the first few times I read the pattern. When I finally got my head around it, I realized how brilliant it was! The collar is worked around the neckline and then back and forth picking up a little more on either side to make a really beautiful roll collar. I’ve never knit anything will a roll collar so I love it!

The beautiful tortoise buttons are from an adorable little you’ll-miss-it-if-you-don’t-know-it’s-there button store on the Upper East Side called Tender Buttons. I’m so in love. It’s one of those shops that doesn’t really exist anymore and is so small and unique it feels like magic. They are just wall to wall buttons! And all kinds including some vintage and antique wonders. I bought about 4 buttons just in case something unfortunate happens to the ones I put on.

I’m not terribly pleased with how the cardigan fits across my chest when the buttons are done. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not the size I thought I was or if my gauge wasn’t spot on. Maybe the length isn’t right? I was going for something tighter than I usually wear as I’m trying to break the giant comfy sweater habit (at least when I’m going out.) It’s not that bad but I think another more serious blocking will do the trick on it. I’m pleased otherwise.

So love how this MadTosh knit up. How many times can I say that? I’ll say it again. It’s tops.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• January 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm |

it’s a gorgeous cardigan! absolutely beautiful!

just my two cents, if another blocking doesn’t get it to a comfortable place, in terms of buttons, you could just move the button placement a little closer to the edge.

• January 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm |

Thanks! It might end up being moved. I think I’ll always just have the top button for decoration, though!

• January 24, 2012 at 11:50 am |

That is gorgeous! I love the color. I’m planning on making Larch later this year in pashmina, too. Can’t wait!

• January 25, 2012 at 10:33 am |

You should! Amy at Threadpanda is hosting a KAL for all Amy Chrisoffers designs! You should join in!

• February 27, 2012 at 10:58 am |

Hey Larch sister, I have a question for you about the collar. The photos look like the collar stitches are NOT picked up along the edge of the bound of neck stitches, simply sewed down at the end. Is that right? Or did you pick up the stitches along those bound of edges? Because in my head, picking up those stitches would make the the collar go at a wonky angle, but my head is not always the most sane place.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm |

They are picked up around the neck. It took me a while to figure out how to do it. It’s like every back-and-forth, more stitches are picked up on either end. It’s pretty awesome construction but it’s tricky!

• Amy
        February 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm |

Even those 15 stitches that were bound off at the beginning of the neck shaping? It seems to me that if I picked up and knit along those stitches, and then worked 16 rows, it would stick out really far… I may be overthinking this.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm |

Oh, ok. Those stitches are just left alone but I believe the collar picks up from the fronts of the cardigan. You get a weird little 1-2″ hole there that does get sewn to the collar.