Aug

FO: Baby Kimono

Written by Sarah on August 24th, 2012 Posted in baby, design, DIY, gift, sewing, style

Last week Jon’s nephew (who received this blanket when he was born) turned 1! He is practically a real person now. I thought I’d try out my new sewing skillz (with a z, yes) to make my little boyfriend a birthday present.

This was my second sewing project after the skirt and I challenged myself here but I think I’m really starting to get the hang of this sewing thing! Big pats on the back to myself.

The pattern is the Purl Bee’s newborn kimono. I made some adjustments in terms of size (obviously, he’s not a newborn anymore…more on that in another post) and I tackled a French seam for the first time (it wasn’t perfect but that’s life!). The bias tape was a bigger challenge than expected but I like how it turned out. And it took me four times but I sewed a snap on for the first time. Those little bastards are tricky.

I love the organic fabric from Cloud9. (I think I bought a 1/2 yd more than the pattern called for since I was adjusting the size and I was terrified I’d cut something wrong!) Two of Jon’s brother’s favorite things are fishing and Japan so the sail boat kimono was perfect for his son.

Not too shabby for a beginner, huh? Any tips on size adjustments? Isn’t sewing for babies fun?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• August 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm |

Sooooooo cute!

• August 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm |

Thanks! I hope I can get a photo of him wearing it because he’s adorable.

• Aunt Sherry
    August 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm |

Love it! So cute and easy. You’ll use that pattern again.
    In the third picture see the uneveness in the stitching? Besides the fact it looks like you were using the tiniest length stitches (you know its not hand sewing, hah!), you can use longer ones in machine sewing. Just practice on scraps till you find stitch lengths you like to use. Anyway, that bumpiness is from uneven bobbin tension and that takes time to figure out and master but it is adjustable too(I still have some problems with it at times now).
    Save the extra fabric, you’re on your way to saving for some patchworks in the future. 🙂

• August 25, 2012 at 8:48 am |

adorable!!! I’ll need to remember this for “one day” 🙂

• August 25, 2012 at 10:00 am |

Thanks! Yes, I’m going to save it but it’ll be a while!

• Ashley
    August 25, 2012 at 10:13 am |

GAHHH!! when i have littles, you’re making these for me. so adorable.

• August 25, 2012 at 11:33 am |