Sep

FO: Katie’s Wedding Present

Written by Sarah on September 21st, 2012 Posted in design, DIY, embroidery, FO, gift, holiday, pillow, sewing

Speaking of handmade gifting, I just went to a wedding! The first wedding of my friends, actually, so it was kind of a big deal! Katie and I have been friends since high school and all of our oldest friends took the trip down to Richmond, Virginia for an amazing party weekend.

But, let’s start at the beginning. As you know, I take gifting pretty seriously. Registry? I laugh at your registry. I wanted her gift to be unexpected and awesome and something she didn’t even know that she wanted. I wanted my gift to be memorable. But one can’t gift hand-knit socks for a wedding present. What’s a crafty girl to do?

For a while, I’d resigned to get something from my nemesis the registry. I had a few ideas of what I could make but I didn’t want to disappoint her. Then, at the bachelorette party, Katie turned to me and said that she got a feeling from the questions I was asking her (mainly about her monogram) that I might be making her something and that if I was, she was really excited. So that was that.

I decided it was about time I try my hand at embroidery. I haven’t done any embroidery since I was a kid. But I had a design in mind and I thought a pillow would be a cute gift filled with love for their southern home. And I can finally reveal to you what I’ve been working feverishly on for the past month!

My friends and I starred in our high school production of The Wizard of Oz. (Katie was Glenda, I was Auntie Em.) And since Katie and her new husband Colby live so far away, I wanted to give her something that reminded her that the rest of her friends were always with her no matter where we are.

It was a little too ambitious at first. I, as usual, didn’t really know what I was doing and changed my plans multiple times. But, I’ve realized that’s just how I do things. And I got to do lots and lots of chain stitching. That’s my favorite. The couching in part of the heart is wonky but I’m pleased.

Of course, I’m stubborn and refused to sew only a pillow case so I put together the back of the pillow and stitched the whole thing up and filled it with polyfill which actually makes it really squishy and huggable. Seriously, though, making a pillow case to put onto a pillow form would have been just as effective and probably easier.

I hope that Katie and Colby love it. They are such a lovely couple, it is so exciting to think that they will have this keepsake for the rest of their lives, commemorating their love.

Have you ever made a wedding gift? What is the favorite handmade gift you’ve given?

(instagram by my girl Ashley)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• September 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm |

I love crafting for people’s weddings, though my friends are all old fogeys who are more inclined to make babies now. (Okay, maybe I’m an old fogey too.) The first wedding gift I ever made was a set of bride and groom fabric dolls for my mom’s cousin (I was a weird kid). I created the template, cut out the fabric, and sewed them together, completely with a tux and wedding gown. I don’t think I have any photos of it, but I’m sure the clothes were Rough. I guess I had fun though!

• September 22, 2012 at 9:09 am |

That sounds like a beautiful gift! I wish I could see a picture. Bet it was adorable!

• Aunt Sherry
    September 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm |

Aw, what a great photo. Leave it to Ashley.
    Wow. The pillow came out great. You know a handmade-made pillow is much better than a pillowcase. It has more personality!
    You know me, I have made so many presents in my life, I don’t remember 1/2 of them and never thought of keeping a porfolio of them, so slides are probably all over. I can tell you two of the biggest I ever made – for Tommy Martin and his (ex-)wife Lynn I made a beautiful quilt. Gee I’ve made a few of those in all sizes for some other people I know too. Right – wink, wink. But that was my first after the collosal one I made for us. God toooo Hot! Two layers of extra-loft batting are better than one, aren’t hey? Duh! Anyway, it’s sad, I never asked Tom what happened to the quilt. And I have to remember, that once you give it away, it’s not yours anymore, (just the work of your heart and hands) so how others treat it should not be your care. The other “giant” project was Walt and JoAnn’s rug – their weding present. My design, I think it is 4’x5′. They got married in November and I hooked it all summer and still keep it hidden from her/them. Did I say all summer – did I say wool completely covering my lap all smmer and only a fan to keep cool? Yow. It is still on her bedroom floor. That’s 40 years ago.

• September 22, 2012 at 9:13 am |

I have one of those quilts and I love it! I love that JoAnne still has that rug. I hope this pillow lasts as long!

• Katie & Colby
    September 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm |

We LOVE our pillow! And I love the story. I hadn’t even put together the reference until I read it. It’s by far our favorite pillow in the house. it is beyond huggable and so soft. Can I just commission you to make all our pillows and blankets from now on? Also… Colby said he would’ve taken the socks 😉 we love you!

• September 22, 2012 at 9:22 am |

I’m so glad you like it! Lots of love went into it so I’m glad you can feel that! Love you and tell Colby he’ll get socks one day!

• September 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm |

that is such a lovely and thoughtful gift! i’m sure they will cherish it!