Mar

WIP Storage

Written by Sarah on March 4th, 2013 Posted in knits, no clutter, technique, WIP, yarn

I may have mentioned before that my WIPs are a sad state of affairs when I’m not working on them. Generally I keep everything in a pile on the couch, shoved into the cushions so that I don’t lose odds and ends. I’ve been known to sit on three or four skeins of yarn while I work.

Here’s the gist:

wips

That’s four skeins of yarn, three swatches, a sleeve, and a cross stitch all on one couch cushion.

That was before the move. Since we’re in our fancy new apartment, I promised that I would keep things here under control. I don’t need to grow a crazy yarn monster. So I plan on getting some type of container for my needlework. But what shall I use?

Right now, I have my faire isle sweater in a tote bag that lives on the floor next to the couch. I can keep all of the yarn and the pattern in there. It’s a pretty slick deal. I’ve also been focused on accomplishing one pattern at a time which helps tame the mess.

It’s also handy that I have my stash nearby. In the old place, my stash was kept above our closets in this little storage nook where we kept boxes and things that we generally didn’t need to get into very often. It was about 6 or 7 feet high which meant that Jon would have to get on a ladder every time we needed something from up there. Needless to say, he wasn’t thrilled about dragging out boxes of yarn so they stayed put. I started filling my nightstand and bedside table with bags of yarn. It was an unruly mess. Worst of all, it didn’t really encourage me to put excess yarn away after I was finished with it. Now all of my yarn is in a closet about five feet from my favorite knitting spot so I can put things away and (get this!) use yarn I already have in my stash with ease! It’s kind of changing my whole life.

I’ve been searching for a great vessel to keep my WIPs in. I have a yarn bowl but it isn’t really conducive for transportation or colorwork. I’m hoping for something big enough to hold a sweater but not too big as to condone couch-side yarn hoarding. Things that aren’t going to be worked on need to stay in the closet! I do plan on sewing some project bags but I want a box of some sort to live near the couch.

I think I’ve found my new WIP bin. It wasn’t what I was expecting (I was really looking for something with a lid) but I was browsing the Fringe Supply Co site and I kind of fell in love with these gorgeous baskets.

basket

What do you think? Perfect, right? A good size and really handsome. Our apartment has some nice wood pieces so the color will be great. And Jared Flood has them. I’m sold. I can’t wait to buy them and put them next to my spot and fill them with yarny things!

But this all gets me thinking: How do you lovely people store your WIPs from day to day? Do you have a couch full of yarn or are you super organized? (No judgements!) Baskets, bins, or bags?

ps. I made a playlist to craft by for Kollabora. Check it out here.

Tags: , , , ,

• March 4, 2013 at 10:55 am |

I am SO a couch full of yarn kind of girl. It seems that whenever I put stuff away I forget about it so I tend to leave things out so I can always remind myself what I am working on… I’m about to have a baby so I’m thinking things will need to be put in a container lest this little cherub of mine makes a nice big yarn knot out of it!!

• March 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm |

Glad I’m not the only one! Good luck with the little lamb 🙂

• March 4, 2013 at 11:35 am |

My number one priority with yarn/WIP storage is keeping it safe from the cats. So my yarn is in closed baskets on the shelf, or out in the open but up high.
    My WIPs on the other hand, well, I’m a couch person too. I have several project bags and other bags that I keep things in, and those usually end up mostly on one corner of the couch. However if I’m feeling particularly lazy, I’ll just throw the blanket over everything for cat-protection.

• March 4, 2013 at 11:41 am |

I use project bags and I love them soooo much. We have a wee dog who has a taste for bamboo knitting needles so I have to keep my WIPs under lock and key : D

– kelsey

• March 4, 2013 at 11:58 am |

My favorite (& current) way to store my WIPs is in a leather storage ottoman. I got mine from one of the big discount stores – TJMaxx probably. It looks nice, I use it as a footrest when I’m knitting or reading, and with a simple lift of the lid I can toss in all my WIPs, each in their own project or ziploc bag. I keep my interchangable needles in there too for quick retrieval when I’m swatching for my next WIP. My ottoman is square, which is plenty big for me, but I know larger rectangular ones are available too.

• March 4, 2013 at 9:16 pm |

Oh that sounds lovely! I love things that serve multiple purposes!

• March 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm |

I obviously think those baskets are a fine choice! But this post cracked me up. I’m so anal I cannot imagine having WIPs piled into the couch. (Of course, I also have cats, so it would never happen regardless.) I keep everything in project bags (sometimes two projects to a bag, if they’re small), and I keep all of the project bags in a large basket, along with my tool pouch and interchangeables and a few random things that seem to collect in the bottom of the basket — packet of Kleenex, FOs that need blocking, whatever.

• March 4, 2013 at 9:16 pm |

I am so envious! I need to take a page from your book.

• March 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm |

I keep my WIPs in a duck shaped basket next to my bed. I have to admit, sometimes they spill out onto the floor though. But a DUCK, it just makes me giggle every time I see it.

• March 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm |

That basket is really a nice one! And having it wide and open makes it easier to keep your projects in. Things don’t get buried. I normally have what I call my “nest” on the couch, coffee table, and end table around me. With our “large puppy” aka Bear the 90 pound black lab, leaving anything on the floor is a mistake! Ha Ha!

• March 6, 2013 at 12:35 pm |

Hi!

We actually have a WIP section on Kollabora now! I usually need the most support when I am in the midst of something.

Your follower will see it in your feed or you can filter the projects page to see all WIPs.

Hope to see some of your WIPs at Kollabora.

And thanks for all the support :))

• March 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm |

Love it! Keeping track of my WIPs keeps me motivated!

• March 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm |

I’m pretty proud of my over-the-door shoe-holder idea for storing small projects and skeins of yarn. It’s a nice linen fabric, so even though it’s in the closet, it looks kind of nice. I also have a basket next to my knitting chair which works out pretty nicely when I don’t get lazy and chuck random junk into it too. I would probably be better about that if I had one of THOSE beautiful baskets!