Sep

WIP: Holiday Knitting Already!

Written by Sarah on September 30th, 2013 Posted in DIY, gift, holiday, knits, socks, WIP, yarn

I don’t have big plans for holiday making this year. I know that I just don’t have the time for it. But I did want to make one or two gifts. I mean, come on, what’s the point of being a knitter if you don’t make a gift? I figured a few gifts would be manageable (Christmas is still a few months away, right?) until I found out that Chanukah is the same week as Thanksgiving this year.

So now I’m a little stressed out. Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines!

I feel like hand knit socks are amazing gifts. They’re warm and lovely and they look really complicated like you spent a long time on them but they’re actually pretty quick. Something about giving a gift to keep your toes warm makes me really happy.

Luckily, socks make great car knitting and there will be plenty of opportunities for that in the near future (Rhinebeck!). Also luckily, Jon got me a subscription to Yarnbox for my birthday so last week I received some beautiful of Candy Skein yarn. Everything about this yarn is perfect for socks.

fruit loop socks

I love solid colored fingering weight yarns! Especially for cables. I was trying to find a pattern slightly more challenging than Hermione yet easy enough that I could put down for a few days and not get lost. Also a big must was doing a pdf or web-based pattern because I need something I can carry around on my phone. I don’t like fumbling around with books while I’m in the car.

When I went over my Ravelry queue, I found the Froot Loop pattern by Kristi Geraci. I can’t believe I haven’t knit this pattern sooner. It’s really really easy without being boring but it looks really gorgeous and the cables are super satisfying. It doesn’t require a cable needle so it’s the best for knitting on the fly. (I’ve knit cabled socks on the subway before. It gets messy.) It’s basically just exactly what you’d want in a sock.

The pattern knits up so quickly, I’m not nervous at all about finishing in time for the holidays. Socks, you are the best! (Sorry, sweaters, nothing personal.) Now I just need to keep my sanity until Thanksgiving.

Have you already started your holiday knitting? Do you have big plans or are you staying small?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• September 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm |

I love cabled patterns that are intuitive so they’re easy to knit on the go. This looks like a good one!

• Justin
    September 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm |

your posts make me so happy after a day with nothing but stress!

• Justin
    September 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm |

your posts make me so happy after a day full of nothing but stress! thank you so much!

• Michelle
    October 1, 2013 at 7:03 am |

I completely agree that this year’s Hanukkah date was a shock! It puts a whole new meaning on knitted holiday gifts. Your sock looks gorgeous, and you’ve already made so much progress. I’m thinking of doing some socks as well for the same reasons! Good luck with the gifting!

• October 1, 2013 at 8:49 am |

That purple is just gorgeous, and those cables really pop! I need more handmade socks..

• Mom
    October 2, 2013 at 6:06 am |

The pattern and color on your socks are beautiful! Wouldn’t they make a wonderful Christmas gift for your mother….

• October 3, 2013 at 10:00 am |

These are gorgeous! I love them! The holidays really are coming up fast (how can it be October already?!?!)! I’ve only just started thinking about some knitting projects… perhaps socks should go on the list!

• October 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm |

I ridiculously overcommitted to knitting for Christmas. I just counted up 22 projects, I think. I have 2 hats, 2 scarves, and most of a stuffed dinosaur done so far.

Your socks are really beautiful. Thanks for the idea – socks may be the perfect solution for certain people who I don’t think are into scarves or cowls.

• October 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm |

Socks go faster than scarves for me. I also like to do a nice, chunky sock for gifts. They knit up quick and are perfect to wear around the house or as a second pair with boots on extra cold days!

• October 8, 2013 at 11:07 pm |

I love the Froot Loop pattern! I’ve made 3 pairs and plan to make at least one more as an xmas gift this year. The ones I kept for myself still look great after 3 years!

• October 9, 2013 at 6:53 am |

They’re really fun to make. Here’s a question: what kind of cast on dis you use for yours?