Oct

Famous Knits: Katniss Cowl

Written by Sarah on October 24th, 2013 Posted in design, DIY, famous knits, knits, movies, photos

Hunger Games: Catching Fire comes out next month which means a big dose of one of my favorite things: Jennifer Lawrence! While my love for JLaw and the Hunger Games books is no secret, something new has caught my eye and I know I’m not alone. Lots to cover so let’s dive right in and talk about this fantastic cowl.

I caught a glimpse of this cowl months ago when the teaser came out and I knew this was going to be a big deal. Now that the trailer is here, I’m basically just drooling over this gorgeous piece. I love the rustic tweed. It reminds me of Roman Hills’ Winters Bone color way! (Winters Bone, Jennifer Lawrence, IT’S MEANT TO BE!) While it’s kind of earthy and has that hand-crafted look, it’s got a fantastically futuristic shape. I love knits that are minimal and trendy and I’ve found that it’s really really hard to pull off knits that are cool in a modern way instead of a comfy cozy camping kind of way. But this piece finds a way to straddle both looks perfectly. I’m really in awe.

katniss cowl 2

When Jess and I were tweeting about the cowl earlier in the week, we started doing some research. The cowl, featured in Capitol Couture’s profile of Katniss, was designed by Maria Dora. I’m now completely obsessed with her work. Her pieces are being worn by celebrities right now and it looks like she only has more interesting things to come.

This stunning photo really shows off the details and amazing construction of the cowl! A cowl with an arm hole, YES PLEASE.

katniss cowl 3

Jess reached out to the designer and Maria was nice enough to tell us that the cowl is woven not knit. (Doesn’t stop my imagination from running wild!) But! She said that they are developing a knitting pattern and would keep us posted.

maria dora

This aspect really excited me. I’ve been looking forward to writing about the cowl and saying, as I always do, “Oh, I’d love to figure out how to make my own.” But I’m crazy about that idea of a couture/high street designer sharing their brand with people who couldn’t afford it (or maybe just wouldn’t be interested) off the hanger. If you’ve been keeping up with knitting news, you know that Fred Perry tried and failed to do something similar but I hope other designers put some genuine thought into it. It’s a really interesting way to create conversation between makers that work on completely different scales (without, in my opinion at least, devaluing their brand). I do feel a little sad when I want to rip off designs that I see in stores and there are tons of knitters that don’t have the interest or skills or time to invest in knitting “knock offs” (sorry, I can’t think of a better way to put it but I mean that with love). I’d love to collaborate in this way with mainstream fashion.

katniss cowl

Either way, I salute Ms. Dora for her fabulous work. It makes me not only excited to see this movie (the production design is just going to blow the first one out of the water) but excited for the future of knitwear. That’s a pretty big thing to say but I mean it!

What do you think about big brands sharing patterns with knitters? Do you think this cowl is funky in a good way or would you be afraid to wear it? How excited are you for Hunger Games? My weapon of choice is the knitting needle.

ps. Thanks, Jess, for fangirling over this cowl for like three hours with me!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Jamie
    October 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm |

Funny you mention this! I was looking through the knitting tag on IG a few weeks ago and there were a bunch of these pictures from this one girl who was trying to recreate it. It looked pretty similar! I wish I remembered her IG name! It looked amazing even in her WIP photos!

• October 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm |

Oh I’ll have to see if I can find it. If you remember their handle, let me know!

• October 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm |

AHHHH! thank you for this post! i became obsessed with this cowl too when i saw it featured on a movie theatre poster for catching fire. i hung out in the hallway of the movie theatre for several minutes, observing the poster from multiple distances trying to get it to divulge it’s fiber-y details! it wouldn’t, though, the image was too grainy…. i haven’t forgotten about it since then, but i haven’t done any follow up investigation either. so i really appreciate this!

the first film kind of broke my hunger-games-book-loving heart, so i’m not really allowing myself to get my hopes too high for the second one. this obviously will not stop me from seeing it, of course. the new director might be able to excite me a little, though?

i love the texture created by the woven fabric… there are definitely knit stitches that could be incorporated to create a similar look. herringbone, perhaps?

sorry for the essay sized comment!

• October 24, 2013 at 9:47 pm |

I’m so glad lots of people are talking about this cowl! I think it’ll make a really cool piece to knit. That herringbone stitch in a grey tweed yarn might make a great piece in the interim.

I totally know what you mean about the first film. It didn’t really give me the same feeling that the books did. Then again, I’m not sure anyone could capture everything from the book on the screen. That being said, I’m a big fan of Catching Fire’s director and his work always has great production design. I think he’ll at least be able to get the look of Panem closer to what I imagine!

• October 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm |

oh, i have no misconceptions about the difference in media between books and movies (it is, in fact, one of my very favorite subjects to think/talk/listen about). i don’t expect a movie to fit in everything from the book. but that doesn’t change the fact that i brought 98% of my emotions while watching the movie from the book. the movie felt oddly… emotionless to me.

i can’t say i know too much about this particular director, though. i’ve only seen i am legend, which i enjoyed quite a lot! like water for elephants has been on my ‘to watch’ list, but never very high priority.

• October 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm |

No you’re totally right! My boyfriend asked why I was so sad about Rue because there was no relationship built in the film. I love talking about films vs books, too. I was just telling someone that I’m glad I don’t have the books as fresh in my mind because I won’t be as disappointed :/

Francis Lawrence has directed a lot of amazing music videos which is why I think the look of the film will be bananas.

• October 30, 2013 at 12:00 pm |

it’s funny, though, in a way that was a bit of a relief. sure, i shed a few tears, because, you know, RUE, obvo. but i had been a little worried about suffering paroxysms of grief in a movie theatre with a bunch of other people around me trying to watch a movie.

there’s at least one scene in catching fire that affected me as badly (district 11). we shall see how francis lawrence handles it!

i definitely agree that it helps to not have the book very fresh in your mind. sometimes i’ll watch the movie version of a book before reading it, on purpose, so i’m not spending the whole time comparing it and waiting for certain scenes…

• October 25, 2013 at 9:49 am |

I totally already made a knock off version for myself which I will be wearing to the premier. It is so wonderfully postapocalyptic and chic! I fell in love as soon as I saw it.

• October 25, 2013 at 2:25 pm |

Oh! Please tell me you’re posting pictures on your blog! I’d love to see it!

• November 6, 2013 at 12:36 am |

I posted them today actually! And I released the pattern on Ravelry, for free so they don’t come after me :P

• November 6, 2013 at 6:56 am |

Wow it is stunning! And it looks so authentic! Hope you don’t mind if I post a link for the readers sometime this week! It’s great!

• November 6, 2013 at 10:22 am |

Oh my gosh, I would be delighted!!!! I spent a long time trying to get it just right so we could all pretend to be Katniss. All girls should know what it feels like to be a badass :)

• November 4, 2013 at 2:56 am |

OMG! I’m completely obsessed with this cowl too!! I scoured the internet to find more information about it after first seeing the Catching Fire trailer, then spent many a night killing my eyes by scrutinizing every.single.photo I could find online to see how it was made. I’m glad that Capitol Couture did a feature on Maria Dora (and learned that it was made via macrame!). I really do hope that she comes out with a knitting pattern for this, I would definitely, without a doubt, knit one up and wear it to death! :D

• Janet
    November 23, 2013 at 9:57 am |

I was so blown away when I saw this cowl, vest, scarf thingy!!!! I had hoped it was knit – looked like a cable across the chest – but I do plan to put in my hand at knitting it! Thank you for the information on the designer and the pointer to a suggested pattern. I had hoped it was woven so I could tackle it on the warp weighted loom; now I shall have to take up !!!!! Argh.

• November 24, 2013 at 3:50 am |

Glad I’m not alone!! We saw the movie tonight & I leaned over & whispered to my bf, “I love that knit cowl/sweater thingy she’s wearing!” Even though now I know it’s not knit… there were several rustic yet chic chunky knit-like pieces in the movie I was really admiring. Is it too much to hope they’ll release a Catching Fire Knitting Pattern book?? :D

BTW, if anyone hasn’t seen it yet, it’s 1000x better than the first movie; it was like reading the book all over again :)

• November 25, 2013 at 6:38 am |

OMG, love your version of the cowl! I went to the movie Saturday and I was like holy cow, we have to make some hunger games knits! They were gorgeous! Love your inspired piece and will keep an eye on you my dear:)
    PS I agree with Amanda, the movie was way better than the first, as good as the book IMHO:)

• November 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm |

wow…that looks like needlebinding with a really really thick yarn.

• Megan
      December 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm |

Yes! You are genius! I’ve been trying to figure it out and I think you’re 100% right!!!

• December 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm |

I’m a part time wiking, comes with the teritory ;) do you know how to do it?

• Adrienne
    December 1, 2013 at 9:23 pm |

Has anyone seen any info on the black, brown, and grey sweater Katniss wore during the victory tour? I love that sweater and can’t seem to find any info on it anywhere!

• Renee Kunkel
      December 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm |

I am looking for info on the sweater that Katniss wore on the train during the victory tour. The best image of it is while she is sleeping and wakes with a nightmare – Peeta comes in and checks on her and then stays while she sleeps. The sweater looks pieced – It definitely has some angles going on – it’s a short (maybe even capped) sleeved sweater. Anybody able to find info on it?

• December 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
  • January 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm |

I’m working on this, too. I don’t know much about knitting or crocheting, but I think I figured out how it’s done. I’ve been posting progress on my blog here: