Jan

Vogue Knitting Live 2014

Written by Sarah on January 28th, 2014 Posted in Uncategorized

Now that I’ve had some time to collect my thoughts on last weekend’s adventure at Vogue Knitting Live, I am ready to share! I had a really great time but I always do when I have a good excuse to indulge in the knitting world.

I took a few great classes. Lily Chin’s Set-in Sleeve class really made me re-think the way I design them and I feel a lot more confident than before. You can’t scare me, set-in sleeves! I had an absolutely amazing time at Kate Atherley‘s Heels and Toes class which evolved from just talking about a variety of heel flap techniques to trouble shooting socks. In the end, we all went home with advice on how to make the most perfect socks. If you have the opportunity to take a class with Ms. Atherly, DO IT. It was so fun and I can’t wait to put everything she taught me into practice!

sock kate atherlyKate blowing our minds with tips!

I also went to a fun lecture about trends with Lindsey from Kollabora. The Crash is totally on trend, guys! There are lots of other fun things I think I’ll play around with this year like chunky knits and whites. And Jared Flood’s panel on male knitters was great. During the Q&A, a teenage guy thanked everyone on the panel for inspiring him to knit and do it in public. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. You know I wanted to give him a hug.

jared floodMen at Work panel (Wish we could’ve been closer!)

There was shopping. That’s what you really want to hear about, right? I think that I was pretty good this time around. I actually stuck to a list for once so that’s exciting. I snagged some Esopus by Jill Draper Makes Stuff that I will maybe eventually use for a Follow Your Arrow shawl (I’ll get around to it). I love seeing Jill at VKL! I can’t leave her booth empty handed.

jill draper

I also picked up this beautiful skein from Neighborhood Fiber. I was really drooling over their color ways last year at Vogue. I love how saturated they are, like, really bold. This skein happened to match my manicure. I’m not sure if the photo does it justice. It’s a fawny brown with a plum/wine? Really gorgeous. I think it will become a hat. Why not?

IMG_9469

And I finally got to feed my craving for earrings with this pair by Cara Romano. They’re so cool! And I like the bright pink. I think it’ll be really fun to wear with an outfit of neutrals. (They’re being modeled by a skein of Rowan since I change earrings for another month.)

cara romano

Of course, the highlight of VKL for me is getting together with all of my friends! I got to brunch with my New York ladies, Kristen, Kim, Maria, and Dana. Everyone was knitting except for me since I’d JUST finished Faro. Felt like such a loser, I was super jealous! I had a beer with Alanna which was a blast. I got to hang out with Lisa and Rachel and we talked about more secret plans(!!!). There were certainly others I wished I’d been able to hang out with but maybe next time around! Just being around knitters makes me happy. It was a great weekend.

So what do you think? Did I buy enough yarns? Were you there? What classes did you take?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

• January 28, 2014 at 11:27 am |

I went a couple years ago, but did not take classes. Looks like you picked some good ones. Pretty yarns…you only change earrings once a month? I have tons of earrings, love them, but have not bought a pair of hers yet. Although I’ve seen them at Stitches.

• January 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm |

Just got my ears pierced so I can’t take these out until they heal up!

• Carol
    January 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm |

Wished I had seen that booth with the earrings! I took a class with John Brinegar and he rocked! and I think my sister was in that Heels & Toes class with you – she loved it too. It was my 3rd VKL NYC.

• January 28, 2014 at 11:15 pm |

I am just in awe of the gorgeous colours you chose! The Espopus looks to be perfect for a shawl, and now I am trying to convince myself not to buy yarn. I have never gone to a yarn event before so it was great reading about your experience!

• January 29, 2014 at 7:03 am |

They’re fun if you have some $$ saved or if you have tons of self-control!

• January 29, 2014 at 12:45 am |

It looks like you had such a great time! I wish I could’ve gone to this, but alas, not this year at least. I really like your earring model, but I would love to see them with an outfit. They’re super cute!

• January 29, 2014 at 7:02 am |

I’ll definitely post more pictures when I can wear them! 🙂

• January 29, 2014 at 5:53 am |

Wow, I wish I could be there one day! You’re so lucky to have knitting friends, mine just think of me as their “weird friend who knits”, lol 😛

• January 29, 2014 at 6:46 pm |

I went last year and had a blast, but (unfortunately) I moved across the country this year and couldn’t make it. It was this or Rhinebeck, so…you know.

I’m glad you had a great time! Don’t you just love Neighborhood Fiber Co? I’ve only ever bought their rustic fingering, but her colors are AMAZING and I would love a sweater quantity someday. And that Jill Draper! I’ve admired her booth from afar (and her because she’s adorable), but I haven’t taken the plunge just yet. Buying a monster skein of Empire is on list for this year. What kind of fiber is the Esopus?

• January 29, 2014 at 9:29 pm |

That’s a tough choice but Rhinebeck would win for me too! Esopus is SW merino. I love it. I’m intimidated by Empire but I really want to go for it!

• January 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm |

Very cool write up! I wish I had been there for the Jared Flood panel. My husband recently took up knitting and he gets so frustrated by the lack of decent male patterns (with of course the exception of Jared’s). I bet that was really interesting.

• January 29, 2014 at 9:30 pm |

Good for him! The panel was really great. Nice to hear from these guys. I wish there were more patterns for men. It’s really tough, though, considering what will sell. But I’m with him!

• January 30, 2014 at 1:00 pm |

Wow, what a fun time! The Esopus yarn is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I’d gone, although I’m such a basic knitter that I’d probably be way out of my league. I’m kind of a superfan of Jared Flood’s men’s patterns– I’m so glad to hear that there are other dudes being inspired to knit! 🙂

• February 3, 2014 at 8:43 am |

Sarah,
    thanks for the shout out, your blog is AMAZING! I love the photo with the yarn, hummmm just might need to take some product shots with yarn.

• February 3, 2014 at 9:49 pm |

Oh yay! I’m glad you’re inspired! 🙂 Love the earrings! Your work is lovely!