Feb

FO: A Selfish Sweater

Written by Sarah on February 4th, 2014 Posted in FO, knits, sweater

Faro was off my needles pretty quickly! I actually was able to put the bottom ribbing on right before I went to Vogue Knitting Live! So I a lot of people saw it unblocked (meaning super cropped and hanging weird, whatever! She needed to be worn!). I finally got a chance to block it and I could not be happier.

You’re going to be seeing me in this sweater A LOT. Absolutely, 100% Faro has jumped to the number one spot of favorite sweaters! I decided to take some photos wearing the big floppy hat that I have no occasion for. Remember my inspiration photo? I am no model but big hats!

faro 2

First of all, I love the construction of this sweater. Knitting from side-to-side was really fun! There wasn’t a ton of shaping (really just the under-arm shaping) so it was really really simple (as in if you’re intimidated in any way by knitting sweaters, this is a great place to start!) but the lace/cables made this really fun to work up. The aran-weight Quince and Co Osprey made this really quick but totally satisfying. I could not imagine making this sweater with a different yarn. Also, there was no finishing necessary on the collar which is awesome. (I dread picking up collar stitches almost as much as I do seaming and weaving in ends.)

I’m completely obsessed with the stripes of cables and lace. Amy really knows how to make a handsome sweater. They play perfectly with the boatneck. And I must add that I’ve never really been a fan of boatnecks although I actually look pretty good in them. Note to self: more of that. The cropped length is really fun, too! I was afraid it was going to come out way too short (especially before I put on the ribbing) but it’s really just perfect all around. Trust the pattern!

faro 3

I think I mentioned before that I went with a three-quarter sleeve instead of the half. I just added a few inches in the chart pattern before I worked the sleeve shaping. I love sweaters with cropped sleeves and I think I’m going to do this with all of the sweaters I make myself. I almost always wear them over a button down with the sleeves rolled up. This way I can roll the cuff of my button down without getting the cuff of the sweater involved in that mess.

faro

I used to just knit sweaters that were patterns that I thought would be interesting and fun to make. This piece goes beyond that in adding functionally to my wardrobe. It’s not just a beautiful sweater, it’s a garment that I want to wear. This was the perfect place for me to step out of my comfort zone. Like I said, I don’t really wear boat necks often. I was really nervous about how that apricot color would look on me though I was drawn to it. I was scared that together it might be a little too much. But it all came together so perfectly. This is just amazing.

Long story short, I want to knit another one of these! I don’t think I’ve ever knit a pattern more than once (with the exception of the 12 pairs of knucks I’ve made) but this one I’d gladly make again!

What do you think? When are you casting on your own Faro?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Jess
    February 4, 2014 at 10:22 am |

Super cute! I love the texture and the way you’re wearing it with the button-up shirt.

• February 4, 2014 at 10:59 am |

I’m surprised at how new to you the style and color is because it fits you (and the hat!) perfectly! This definitely needs to become your go-to outfit for the spring and fall.

• February 4, 2014 at 11:48 am |

This is gorgeous! I’m really enamored with this pattern but wasn’t sure how to wear it, so I’m totally digging the way you’ve styled it. The color looks amazing on you!

• February 4, 2014 at 8:00 pm |

After seeing these pics of you in your gorgeous new Faro sweater, how can I possibly resist casting it on?

• Sherry
    February 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm |

Now that is a beautiful sweater! Those pics are so good, I might have to steal one. Like the 3/4 sleeve SO much better than the half. And it would be nice full too. 🙂

• February 5, 2014 at 10:53 pm |

I have a Faro that’s all done except for the blocking and ribbing, and I put it aside because I was worried it would be too short and couldn’t deal. You’ve inspired me to get it back out and block it!

• February 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm |

It really is perfect! I like side to side construction too. It makes things a little more interesting, though that shouldn’t be a problem with all of those cables. I pinned that same photo and knit a mustard colored Beatnik as a result. I love seeing the different ways knitters take their inspiration.

• Mom
    February 8, 2014 at 12:40 am |

Beautiful sweater! The apricot color looks great on you and it really allows the pattern to stand out. I like the choice of 3/4 sleeve, too (great hat, by the way…)! You should be very proud of yourself!

• February 12, 2014 at 4:07 am |

Oh I love it! An amazing sweater, and totally wearable – must have also been very interesting to it. Going to fave it on ravelry now!

• ShelleyO
    February 13, 2014 at 10:21 pm |

I am in the final stages of my Faro knitting project. It is a fast knit. I am to the point that I think it will be too wide for me, and then too short .. . I also am hoping to block it longer and the “wider” will disappear. I added a couple inches on the sleeves, too. But the pattern is so interesting, I am addicted to knitting it.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

• Connie
    March 23, 2014 at 3:44 am |

Beautiful! I really like the pairing of the blouse with the sweater, my kind of style.