Mar

FO: Adventure Socks

Written by Sarah on March 5th, 2014 Posted in FO, knits, socks

For Valentine’s Day, Jon and I took a little adventure upstate. My cousin got us tickets to a wine festival so we took a little weekend trip to get tipsy. It was cold up there but we made it thanks to fast food (my favorite road trip indulgence), an endless music selection, and the scenic route.

The trip was a lot of this:

road trip

and this

adventure

But that means a lot of knitting. I generally am completely restless for long car rides (I hate flying because you can’t take a break!) and being behind the wheel makes me a little twitchy (until I decide to drive 85mph the whole way because I am in. a. hurry.) so I try to avoid road trips. But a long journey means unadulterated time with my two favorite things: needles and yarn.

I’m probably pretty sore for it now but I managed to pump out a good portion of this pair of socks.

stripe socks

After taking Kate Atherley’s class at VKL, I was very excited to make a pair of socks. I’ve been itching to make a pair since I learned so many awesome tips. While I know how to make a good sock, now I know how to make a great one! It’s an ankle-down sock with a square heel. I must admit that I didn’t quite nail this time around. You can see in the photo below that I went a bit too short on the foot so the heel is kind of pulling. I really wanted to make sure there was proper negative ease. Maybe this is too much.

heel

I picked up this skein from Into the Whirled at Rhinebeck. It was nearly impossible to pick a color way but Jon really liked this one and I love how it stripes. I’m definitely looking forward to taking my new sock knitting expertise to more projects. Expect more socks soon!

Socks are my favorite road trip knits. What about you?

Tags: , , , , ,

• March 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm |

Socks are my favorite travel project too, although I’m usually on a plane or train. In fact I do most of my knitting on my NJ Transit train commute. Socks are just so portable and satisfying! Wow, I wish I had taken this class!

• March 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm |

Keep an eye out for other classes with her! She’s such a pro! I didn’t even know that there was so much to know about socks.

• Aiste
    March 5, 2014 at 6:48 pm |

Tiger-feet :) And yes, the heel is way too short. It should begin where your actual heel starts to curve and go all the the way down. So it should have been at least twice as long. Shame it takes a lot of ripping off in order to fix this :7

• March 5, 2014 at 8:07 pm |

I think this would probably not be so hard to fix but I’m too stubborn to do it. I think that the heel is long enough but it’s being pulled under the bottom since the foot is too short. When I make him pull up the ankle, it looks like it fits well. Negative ease is tough.

• Aiste
        March 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm |

I can easily relate to this. It took me years to start ripping..! On the other hand, it’s interesting that you decided to battle negative ease via lengh. With top-down socks it’s an easy matter of trying the sock on while knitting. There’s usually a point (in my case it’s mid-little toe) at whitch it’s time to start decreasing. There’s no recipe, one just has to cooperate with ones feet. And after you try it a few times it’s like AngelaH says, it becomes automatic.

• March 6, 2014 at 11:46 am |

I always knit socks when I travel. They’re so portable, and for me they’re enough of a distraction from the endless travel, but still allow me to engage with what’s around me.

What a great colourway! My guess on the foot pulling issue is that your heel flap isn’t quite long/deep enough, which in turn makes for shorter gussets and a tighter fit across the widest part of your foot. I usually aim for an equal number of heel flap rows as there are stitches across.

The nice thing about plain socks, though, is you can play with fit until you get it right and then just autopilot.

• March 7, 2014 at 8:33 am |

That is a good tip about the number of heel flap rows. I’ll have to keep that in mind for my next pair!