Jan

What Should I Learn Next?

Written by Sarah on January 6th, 2015 Posted in brioche, crochet, granny square, knits, poll, technique

While you might be under the impression that I am a Master Knitter (TM) that knows everything there is to know about everything, that is not the case. In actuality, I don’t know that much about anything but I can give you really good directions to the pedestrian crossing of the Williamsburg bridge (stay on South 6th for three blocks and turn left at Bedford) and I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Mad Men story arcs. I know  a thing or two about knitting as well. But there is still more to learn!

grannysquarebrioche

New year, new skill, right? I’m torn between two things that I really want to learn but I’m having trouble deciding which to tackle first. I’ve sworn I’d learn to crochet for the past two years. Maybe 2015 is actually going to be the time that I make my first granny square. I’ve also been dreaming of making a brioche scarf for a long time but I’ve been way to scared to try it.

So I need your help! Voting ends Friday 11:59pm EST! Help me pick!

granny square image via Meet Me at Mikes / two color brioche cowl via Purl Bee

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• January 6, 2015 at 11:39 am |

Really there’s no wrong answer. I just picked Granny Squares because it sounds like crochet is something you’ve been wanting to tackle.

• January 6, 2015 at 1:02 pm |

Brioche! I just learned brioche stitch myself. I had two skeins on hand that I thought would go together perfectly, and could imagine no better way than in a squishy brioche cowl. My project log has a link to the video I found most helpful (http://milk-shed.com/2014/12/14/simple-brioche-cowl/)

• January 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm |

Briocheeeeee!!!!!

For totally selfish reasons. I want to learn it too, and it’s kindof intimidating.

• Lily
    January 6, 2015 at 5:54 pm |

Granny Square!! You’ll be so surprised about how quickly you pick it up (seriously I taught myself off a you tube video one night when I was bored) so I actually think you could do both.

• January 6, 2015 at 11:01 pm |

I just completed a brioche scarf and it was the easiest thing ever (just posted about it this morning if you want to have a look). I thought it would be way more complicated. Mind you, there was only one color at a time. So I feel ready to try a two color version. I’d say go with brioche first, you will be so pleased with the result and you’ll have the whole rest of the year for the granny square (which is also something I would love to learn).

• January 8, 2015 at 6:14 am |

Hmm, I haven’t tried it but brioche seems to me something that is more complicated than it looks, and I like my knitting the other way around! Saying that, I’d love to try it. I learned crochet very quickly after someone showed me what to do so I’d say start with that, it’s good for small projects 🙂

• Olivia
    January 8, 2015 at 10:37 am |

Brioche first, then granny squares? I say that since learning to crochet might take a whole new mindset, leaving the brioche to be forgotten. I just learned how to do brioche over the holidays, and once you do a few rows it’s actually very simple. You’ll have it mastered in no time!

• Cindy
    January 25, 2015 at 6:14 pm |

I just took the brioche class at vogue knitting live and found it to be so accessible. Often I take a class and think “I’ll never do that!” But I think I might actually make that purl bee brioche cowl.